It makes for a magical night. A picnic on the lawn, cool California weather and exquisite music under the stars. Pacific Symphony’s Summer Festival wraps this September 5th with thundering cannons and spectacular fireworks in Tchaikovsky’s “1812” Overture! 4th. My family has attended many concerts in the summer series and this one is a worthy show. Pack your favorite eats, grab a few blankets and introduce your kids to the arts in a festive community setting at Irvine Meadows Amphitheatre.
5 Top Tips to enjoy the night right:
1. Pack fun eats. Food will be among the highlights for your children, of course. So pack things you know they like. PB & J, chips, maybe some Red Vines—whatever is on your children’s fave list. My daughter loves cheese plates, so we grabbed a cheese plate from OC Wine Mart & Tasting Bar—it was perfect. My husband also ran to Whole Foods for sandwiches, goodies and wine-in-a-glass for moi (non breakable, cute size, no corkscrew needed). Bristol Farms also offers on-site meals you can order and pickup as you arrive.
2. Cozy wear. Wear layers as the evenings start warm, then turn to a crisp night. If you opt for lawn seats, choose a blanket that repels dampness, as the grassy areas can hold dew as the temps begin to drop. And if you choose Amphitheatre seats, consider bringing a few throws to wrap around you.
3. Concert cues. Don’t immerse the kids in every element of the show; let them soak up the scene how they want. Too much explanation/teachings about the orchestra and their instruments may start to bore them. Just let them be kids, and have fun
4. Behavior counts. Remind the kids that this is a special concert and they’ll have to behave well. Maybe promise them a reward. For little ones, the lawn may be your best bet so they can get their wiggles out.
5. Get up at intermission. This is a great break to let the kids roam about. Maybe get them a special symphony stuffed animal bear (our guy loved his!), or a bag of gourmet popcorn, perhaps a hot chocolate.
These summer concert shows are so much fun, and we’re so lucky to have the caliber of talent here in Orange County to enjoy and share with our children in an unforgettable setting. Make them part of your family’s traditions, and your kids will hold them (and a love of music and the arts) in their memories for a lifetime.
For more info on the show, click here: